Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Yippee! It's Over!



I can breathe again! I can get back to living and doing the things I enjoy doing! The holidays are over! Yippee! It has hit me hard this year how awry the "joyous season" has gone. It's devoid of meaning and just seems to drag us all down for weeks on end, even if we're not shopping and storing up goodies.

I've talked to so many people who are ready to dispense with the holidays altogether and replace it with something else. But what is the something else? I keep asking myself this question? If we don't put up a tree and gather together on Christmas Day then what will we do instead? It's become a habit. Meaning is gone but the ritual remains.And we do need a break from the every day.

I think about visiting friends, or taking a vacation somewhere warm - but none of my ideas seem to be quite right. It's a tradition that once did have meaning and so the longing for meaning is keen as is the desire to replace it with something meaningful. But what? I have twelve months to think about it - or eleven, but I promise, next year will be different.

No comments:

Quote of the Day

Martha Beck's Books

Aging Abundantly Tote Bag

Books by Wayne Dyer

Books by Sarah Ban Breathnach

M. Scott Peck

Peck's insight will help even more travelers find their way as they learn to delay gratification, accept responsibility, embrace reality and maintain flexibility.