Sunday, December 20, 2009

LET IT SNOW!!



Here, in North Carolina, we received about an inch of snow. It was a windy, snowy 24 hours and a nice change from the constant green and brown we usually experience during the winter. It's so hard to get in the holiday season for this northerner living in the south. There's a disconnect between me and the change of the seasons and even though I've lived here almost 20 years my circadian rhythm has never adapted.
 

It has made me wonder how all of this works. Is my lack of response to the change of the seasons physiological rather than psychological? I watched the goings on in Manhattan today on TV - as tears streamed down my face. Just watching the snow and the holiday shoppers triggered the joy of Christmas, a feeling I haven't felt in a very long time. As I watched I felt like I was missing the party. Was it nostalgia? I think not. Does it mean I should pack up and move North again? I have no clue.

My husband believes it is a result of our childhood imprints of the seasons and the holidays. When we're young we "experience" the change of the seasons and the holidays and make a deep connection to them. My early childhood was spent in Maine and later years in NY so maybe I've been "imprinted" as a Northerner and that will never change.

I really don't know the point of this blog. Except to say that it makes me wonder if people should avoid moving away from where they feel "at home". Many people as they age move to warmer climates and never feel quite at home. Perhaps this is a good reason to consider just "staying put" as we age.

1 comment:

Slow Motion...always an adventure said...

I'm from the North East...NY,Vt,MA, worked outside everyday with racehorses..I love the first big snowfall or blizzard..but then it melts and it's muddy, ugly and a mess.. I think I'll stay here in FL. It was 38 this morning..that's cool enough for me. We are going to go boating for a month or two..can't do that up N.

www.alwayslingerawhile.blogspot.com

Quote of the Day

Martha Beck's Books

Aging Abundantly Tote Bag

Books by Wayne Dyer

Books by Sarah Ban Breathnach

M. Scott Peck

Peck's insight will help even more travelers find their way as they learn to delay gratification, accept responsibility, embrace reality and maintain flexibility.