Monday, December 14, 2009

Our Corner of Fear



Too often in life we feel out of control. We each have our own corner of fear - where we choose to hide and shy away from openness and honesty. For the most part there are enough problems in life, so it's okay to turn our backs on a few. I definitely support that motion. But, now and again our fear is costly, to ourselves and others.

Perhaps Tiger's biggest fear is the fear of failure and so it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Truthfully, how can anyone be quite so perfect as his public expected him to be, or he expected of himself? A person can not have a truly honest, open and loving relationship when ones fear is so big. The need becomes to prove to ourselves again and again that we are okay while still believing we are not. The bigger our fear, the bigger the failure. The more we try to control our fears the more likely we are to make a mistake that brings us to our knees.

Routing out the fears that undermine our happiness and our ability to be close to others may be the most worthwhile journey we can take. Difficult to say the least. Very often understanding our fear is 90% of the battle. Once we name it, we can take control of it and begin to move away from fear and into strength and true intimacy.

2 comments:

Ed Donnelly said...

Hello Ms. Sander,
My view (posted on my blog)of Tiger Woods is much more harsh.
Anyway, I wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. I also feel that Christmas has never been quite as joyful as it was when I was a kid.
Take care,
ED

Dorothy Sander said...

I will have to check out your blog on Tiger - poor, pitiful man. Is it true the higher we climb the harder we fall? Makes me think of MJ, Elivs, OJ and so many more.

I'm all in favor of finding a way to restore the joy of Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. I am certainly enjoying my virtual Christmas!

Quote of the Day

Martha Beck's Books

Aging Abundantly Tote Bag

Books by Wayne Dyer

Books by Sarah Ban Breathnach

M. Scott Peck

Peck's insight will help even more travelers find their way as they learn to delay gratification, accept responsibility, embrace reality and maintain flexibility.