Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Live the Life you Desire


"The willingness to act on your inspiration, independent of the opinions of others, is imperative if you're going to live the life you desire." - Dr. Wayne Dyer


I first read a little book written by Wayne Dyer better than 30 years ago called “Your Erroneous Zone” – no doubt if you followed self-help books at all you will remember this one. It was a hit because it was the first book of its kind to give us permission to dispense with unnecessary guilt. It has stayed with me a life time. He’s since written 30 more books all exploring similar issues.  He’s always inspired me to see life more abundantly, to anticipate good things and to keep things in perspective.
I’m thrilled to be aging abundantly with Dr. D by my side. I need all the wisdom and support I can get. The shift that took place in my outlook on life and myself, somewhere around the time I turned 50, has been very unsettling and yet simultaneously thrilling. It’s a relief to be able to put aside all the trappings of the “need to achieve” – to “become” someone – to be sure my kids “become” someone. The thrill of this period of my life is that I’m beginning to discover how just to “be” someone.
All we have is today and frankly I’m glad. The past has been left behind in a shambles and the future is a little frightening to say the least. But today? Ah it is bliss. Living in the moment, the here and now is rich and meaningful because at last I am allowing myself just to be who and what I am. No more do my parent’s expectations shadow me or do I hold my dreams at bay. I am living my dream (minus a few frills!) and it feels good. I need permission not to think about yesterday or tomorrow, just like I needed permission not to feel guilty for being alive. Today is enough. Just today.

1 comment:

Peg Cole said...

Ahhh, Dorothy. Isn't it great when we let go of the urgent, yet unimportant things that careers force from us? When we can actually focus on what and who we are? It is so nice just to be me, cranky, irritable, reclusive me that I am, not to be on stage or someone else's puppet. Yes, I read Dr. D's original book and others. He is truly an inspiration. I also love Stephen Covey, Mark V. Hansen, Jack Canfield (Chicken Soup for the Soul Series) Jim Rohn and others who are self enlightened.

Quote of the Day

Martha Beck's Books

Aging Abundantly Tote Bag

Books by Wayne Dyer

Books by Sarah Ban Breathnach

M. Scott Peck

Peck's insight will help even more travelers find their way as they learn to delay gratification, accept responsibility, embrace reality and maintain flexibility.